Student Assessment Best Practices
- Issues: If you experience any issues while taking an assessment, contact your instructor and TRACS Support IMMEDIATELY! TRACS Support can verify your activity in Assessments. Call us at 512.245.5566 or fill out our TRACS Activity Verification form so we can better assist you.
- Mobile/Tablet devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.): We recommend you take assessments on a desktop computer. We cannot be held responsible for network and carrier issues.
- Auto-save: All assessments automatically save every two minutes provided you have an active internet connection.
- A message will display at the bottom of the screen for a few seconds notifying you of a successful auto save.
- It is a good idea to periodically click [Save] to further protect yourself from losing data.
- Internet connection: Use a reliable, fast internet connection. Be wary of Wi-Fi connections.
- Close other programs: Close all other programs running on the computer.
- Back button: Never click your browser's Back button while taking an assessment. Doing so may throw you out of the assessment and/or generate an error message.
- Internet browser: Have the latest recommended internet browsers. DO NOT have multiple window tabs open or be logged into multiple sessions of TRACS. Having multiple browser windows open or active sessions will cause issues.
Tips and Tricks
- If you lose access: You may re-enter an assessment if there is still time left to complete it. You should be able to pick up where you left off.
- Preview: You CANNOT preview an assessment. If the test is timed, the timer starts as soon as you click the [Begin Assessment] button.
- Timed Assessments: The timer continues to run if you exit a timed test and will automatically submit your answers once time expires.
- Reviewing your work: If your instructor has enabled the Mark for Review feature, you can check a box under each question that you would like to review later. To go back to questions you marked, before submitting the test, click [View unanswered or marked questions]. Questions you have marked for review will appear with a question mark.
- Due Date: Be aware of the due date and time along with the assessment test time.
- For example, If your instructor set the due date and time for your assessment to be 11 am and has given you 1 hour to submit the assessment once you've started it.
- DO NOT start the assessment at 10:30 am and think that you have an hour to finish the test.
- In this case, your assessment would automatically be submitted at 11 am, whether you were finished or not.
- Submitting: When you are finished with an assessment and wish to turn it in, click the [Submit for Grading] button, NOT the Save and Exit button. Saving and exiting an assessment WILL NOT grade the assessment.
Issues While Taking An Online Assessment?
If you continue to experience issues while taking an assessment, contact your instructor and TRACS Support IMMEDIATELY!
TRACS Support can verify your activity in Assessments. Call us at 512.245.5566 or fill out our TRACS Activity Verification form so we can better assist you.