Section Info provides a way for instructors to efficiently manage sections of a class. Section Info is designed to work with other tools, such as Announcements, Assignments, Calendar, Gradebook, and Resources.
Override Automatic Section Management
- In the left Tool List of your site, Select Section Info.
- Select Options.
- Select the button “Manually manage sections and membership (discontinues section and membership updates from the registration system).”
- Select Update.
Manually Create a New Section
- Select Add Sections.
- From the drop-down menu, select the number of sections you wish to add and the category type in which the section(s) will be placed. You may add up to 10 sections at one time, however, all these sections must be in the same category. To add different sections in different categories, add them one category at a time.
- Select the category for the section. The choices are lab, lecture, and a blank space.
- In the field next to Name, title your section. If you do not enter a title, the category title plus a number will become the default section title (for example: Lab1, Lecture2, Studio3).
- (Optional) Select the appropriate button option determining section size.
- (Optional) Next to Meeting Details,”select which days of the week this section meets.
- In the Start Time field, you may enter the time in which the section meets. Enter the hour and minutes (for example: 8:00). Check next to AM or PM to indicate time of day.
- In the End Time field, enter the time in which the section meeting ends. Use the same format as for "Start Time."
- In the Location field, enter a location or room number where the section meets.
- If you have chosen to add more than one section at a time, enter information for the other sections.
- When you are finished, select Add Sections.
Edit a Section
- Select Edit under the section you wish to edit.
- You will be able to modify any of the fields you first entered when you created the section. When you have finished with your revisions, select Update to save these changes.
Delete a Section
- Check the box(es) under the Remove column in the corresponding row(s) of the section(s) you wish to remove.
- Select Remove Sections to remove the section(s).
- On the confirmation page, select Remove to remove the section(s).
Add Site Members to Sections
- Select Assign Students under the section in which you wish to add participants.
- From the list of worksite members, select those you wish to add, and click the right arrow to move them to the box on the right.
- When you are finished, select Assign students.
Add a Teaching Assistant
You must have the TA(s) already added to the course and assigned the role of TA. For more information on adding participants to a site, please see Site Info.
- Select Assign TAs underneath the section you want to assign a TA to.
- From the list of site participants, find the TA you would like to assign. Select their name, then select the arrow underneath "Move Selected" to move that person to the Teaching Assistants column.
- When you are finished, select Assign TAs.
When sections are created, you can also view your Gradebook by section, have different Assignments for sections, have different Resources for sections, and different Calendar entries for sections.
How do I view student memberships?
- Select Student Memberships.
- The list of students and their section membership will display.